PAVER PATIOS: Function and Design
Paver patios add value to your home by increasing the livable space. However, there are several things that should be considered before installing a patio to ensure the best functional outdoor living space for your home.
Look at the layout of your property and determine your overall goal. Take some time and consider the following questions:
1) Will the size be adequate for your average use? Do you enjoy simple breakfasts for two or do you entertain larger groups?
2) What shape patio will fit the landscape? Do you need to work around structural restraints, such as a basement door? How is the patio going to connect to the house or tie into other landscaping features, such as planting beds?
3) When furnished, will there be enough space for traffic flow? Maybe a seating wall would help to direct the flow of traffic, as well as provide overflow seating for larger parties.
4) Where should the patio pitch to shed the rain water or would a permeable pavement suit the needs better for the site?
5) Do you want to incorporate other features, such as a lighting, a fire pit, or outdoor kitchen?
6) What style and color paver do you prefer? Choose a paver style and color that are complimentary to your home. Don’t be afraid to mix colors or paver styles!
Once you answer these questions, you can begin the design process of your patio. Look through magazines and on line for pictures of patios and patio features that you like. Keep in mind, form follows function, so consider your needs before you implement. With proper planning, you can have an outdoor living space that is not only functional, but is well suited with your personality and lifestyle. The more thought you put into the project, the happier you will be with the end result!